Re: [fsf-community-team] Re: Welcome to the "fsf-community-team" mailing

From: Holmes Wilson
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:15:55 -0500

This question was a little bit weird... a lot of people missed this. The idea here was that we wanted folks to pick out the term "Intellectual Property" and point out that it's both unclear and a major concession to the (author's own) opposition.

See: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#IntellectualProperty

One of the things we (at FSF) see happening with a lot of these debates is that people who have a pretty good ethical perspective on things often accept terms into their vocabulary that totally undercut their position.

Intellectual Property is a really problematic term, since it promotes the idea that ideas can and should be treated like physical objects.

-Holmes

On 12/9/09 6:09 PM, Gaz Davidson wrote:
  * Excerpt: When combined with the other chapters that include
>  statutory damages, search and seizure powers for border guards,
>  anti-camcording rules, and mandatory disclosure of personal
>  information requirements, it is clear that there is no bigger
>  intellectual property issue today than the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
>  Agreement being negotiated behind closed doors this week in Korea.

To be honest I don't know how to reply to this one, I would avoid it
as I'm not familiar enough with the subject matter.