Re: [fsf-community-team] What's in a name............

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] What's in a name............
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:55:18 +1300

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 17:47 +1100, Charlie wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:17:32 +1300 Simon Bridge
> <address@hidden> sent this information:
>

> >The name is the least of our problems and not as big-a problem as it
> >first seems.
>
> I don't think that anyone suggested the name is a problem?
The person I was responding to expressed the opinion that the name "free
software" should be changed to exclude the word "free" due to the
constant need to explain.

>  A rose by
> any other name.
... wouldn't sell as well ;) Try it - set up stalls with identical
flowers, tell the punters that one is selling "Glorious Roses" and the
other is selling "Cowdung Roses" and see which sells the most.

>  The explanation is important, and should be standard
> [though not necessarily in the same words] and I think that's why we're
> all here? To ensure we know the philosophy and ideal of free software
> and once we do, to each become one vector of distribution of that
> information?

Of course it is - apart from the odd MS spy <wink>
Perhaps I should have quoted more of the original text?