RE: [SPAM] [fsf-community-team] What happened between GNU and GNOME ?

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: RE: [SPAM] [fsf-community-team] What happened between GNU and GNOME ?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:01:22 +1300

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 17:16 -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> I think this is an issue but not a solvable one.  Planet is just
> software that pulls in rss feeds and the only the gnome community is
> able to join.  so if you contribute to gnome and also do non-free
> software those things are going to mix, but that is the community.
>
> So you either have to edit the whole planet which will be seen as
> limiting speech or as a community you can post more often so it drowns
> out the non-free posts.

It is not unheard of to moderate lists for inappropriate content.
However, the suggestion to break gnome from gnu is an overreaction to
the actual statement:

> > GNOME
> > should not provide proprietary software developers with a platform to
> > present non-free software as a good or legitimate thing.

This should be true for any list but must be particularly the case for a free
software list.
The ethical question here is important and should be brought up. If anyone
should do so then RMS is the right man for the job.
It is logical that the alternative prospect should also be raised: that GNOME
is no longer a GNU project.
If it is not then of course gnome should split from gnu... or get with the
program.
However, I suspect it is more pique than logic.

> > Perhaps the statement of Planet GNOME's philosophy should be
> > interpreted differently.  It should not invite people to talk about
> > their proprietary software projects just because they are also GNOME
> > contributors.

What is wrong with asking gnome contributors to please refrain from posting to
a gnome contributor list material which is counter to gnomes core values?
The main trouble is that people are not actually "posting to" the list as
Stallman appears to believe.
However, they can still keep separate feeds for free and non-free software work
or choose not to make their feed available.

Of course, they can also choose to make vmware free software :)

If our free software is so useful that proprietary companies want to get on
board, then it behooves us to use these programs to pressure proprietary
companies to change their ways does it not?