Re: [fsf-community-team] What's in a name............

From: Mike VandeVelde
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] What's in a name............
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:31:46 -0800

Hmmm... since you brought it up, and since it gets brought up *all* the time...

free (freedom) software

community / communal software
public software
liberty / liberating software liberation
unrestricted software

I kind of like:

NATURAL SOFTWARE

Like as in "free as a bird". Not tamed or domesticated. An ecosystem. Survival of the fittest. Adapt or die. No holds barred. Code the way nature intended.

And then the opposition becomes unnatural software: with artificial restrictions, arbitrary rules, fences springing up all over, heavy handed oppression, all kinds of regimentation.

Or something like that. Discuss!

Mike VandeVelde

Diego Trujillo wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have also had problems when explaining free software to people (even in spanish where free (as in freedom) is 'libre' and free (as in free beer) is 'gratis'). The most recent example is when I was invited to contribute to a free software project and one of my friends said to me "well you start producing free but one day you'll get paid for non-free software." Even after explaining the price-liberty diference he couldn't quite grasp it.

This has led me to think that maybe another word should subsitute the 'free' in free software (don't hate me for this) and I think freedom-software is not a bad option. In my opinion the word freedom carries the same conotation as the word free in this context. In the end what we are trying to defend is user freedom so any word that can reflect this whithout being ambiguous is (again, in my opinion) is alright to use.

If anyone greatly disagrees with me I am compleatly open for critique.