Re: [fsf-community-team] Argument from economic nessesity

From: Mike VandeVelde
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Argument from economic nessesity
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:39:01 -0800

Yes it's an odd argument: coders need to make money, coders can't make money from writing free software, therefor coders can't write free software.

Starts off sounding reasonable (although not true in *every* case), goes through obviously false, and ends up ridiculous.

"Until we can take the financial aspects seriously & prove ways of maintaining a successful business, very few are going to take it serious."

If that had been the driving force for humanity throughout all of history, we never would have gotten anywhere. What a sadly limited point of view. Just because you can't think of a way to make money off of it, is no reason to discourage those who can, or much more importantly those whose main concern is not immediate return on investment.

A thriving public domain is an economic driver in itself. If you are blinkered by economics, then think of free software as an investment in the future. Standing on the shoulders of giants isn't very fun when they all have their hands out for royalties and license fees.

Don't worry about getting rich. Use free software where you have a need for it (or simply an opportunity to avoid licensing terms & fees), contribute to free software where you have the ability. And then guess what - free software will grow, no matter what the financials look like. If you can find a way to make money with free software, such as providing services, then congratulations go for it! If not then go ahead and keep doing what you are doing.

That's how I would respond.

Mike VandeVelde

Simon Bridge wrote:
Something popped up on the NZLUG lists today - anyone want to respond?
(Note, this is the argument from economic nessesity, which we see idn
various forms often. Good practice. The trick is not to get drawn into
side issues.) Here it is:

Playing devil's advocate here, and there questions are in no simple
way to convey to new-comers to the game

I'm not saying that making money should be the primary concern, but it
should rank up there... Without some sort of stable, fixed income, how
are full-time coders (needed for quality-control; see current
news-crisis) supposed to get paid (customization only goes so far), or
any expense be paid on marketing or any of the other day-to-day
operations required for a successful, growing enterprise (paying for
office-space, power, taxes, etc)?

Re philosophy: I understand the what & why, but it still does not
address some fundamental issues: I cannot eat, send the kids to
school, or pay my rent with good intentions/philosophical principals.
Eventually I'll reach a point where I'd have to supplement my income,
and selling shrink-wrapped software with a limited shelf-life is a
simple & effective way to address such shortcomings (albeit a
cop-out).
Until we can take the financial aspects seriously & prove ways of
maintaining a successful business, very few are going to take it
serious.

The problem with the FSF campaigns where that they had a negative
message attacking their opponents, and people are turned off by that
approach (honey vs vinegar), and they're preaching to the choir.
ms are MASTERS of marketing & manipulation, and often it more
important to make people good about their choice of purchase than
actually providing a good product (see vista & win-me; TOTAL rubbish,
but people still bought it by the millions, despite being TOLD it's
absolute rubbish)

If FLOSS plans to "grow up", "go mainstream/highstreed" & be totally
user-accessible (and not just a really cool tool for
techies/hobbyists), then it may have to get it's hands dirty

There are those out there that have managed to build successful
FLOSS-based businesses; they usually operate on the basis of providing
hosted services (which RMS seems to have a beef with), or the
customization of existing FLOSS systems.
I've not really found much deviation from these models, and IMO, it's
an *extremely* limited scope compared to the entire economic
landscape.

Is there something I've missed? (I'm, pretty sure there's a lot