[fsf-community-team] FSF Community Team Introduction

From: Julian Pierce
Subject: [fsf-community-team] FSF Community Team Introduction
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:57:16 -0500

Hello,

     My name is Julian.  I reside just outside of Atlanta, GA USA.  I receive a paycheck for maintaining software for a couple of flight simulators, which run mostly on SGI machines.  At home we (my wife and I) use GNU/Linux exclusively, Debian flavor.  I have been a Free Software Foundation proponent for many years though I have been guilty of using non-free programs at times.  I am excited about gaining knowledge and the ability to articulate it's values and why one should join the FSF movement.

      I have never blogged before but, I am willing to start.  I occasionally attend LUG (LinuxUserGroup) at the Georgia Institute of Technology and ALE (Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts) meetings.  At these meeting we often discuss FSF issues.  I would be willing to recruit additional FSF team members at such meetings.

      I think it is important to speak about the FSF philosophy to people who have never heard of such a thing and those you are afraid of GNU/Linux.  I think with increased awareness the number of FSF advocates will increase as well.

* Excerpt: Richard Stallman started the FSF in order to promote
open source software like the Linux operating system, as an
alternative to expensive software like Windows.

reply:

      Many have confused the open source [ideology] with Richard Stallman's Free Software Foundation movement in part because they do share many common attributes.  In fact, most open source software is FSF software.  However, they stand on different principals.  Open Source is concerned with how software is developed.  Free software is a social movement where development is only one of the four criteria required to make software free.  Richard Stallman started the FSF project as a way to maintain his principals.  Here is an excerpt from his original email declaring the start of the GNU project, "I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I must share it with other people who like it. I cannot in good conscience sign a nondisclosure agreement or a software license agreement." (link to email)  He has subsequently clarified the above statement by defining "free as in freedom not free beer".  Look at it this way, once you obtain a piece of software you are free to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software; however, that software may be bought and sold.  For more on this subject please read RMS's essay at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

* Excerpt: Now with cloud computing and web-based applications,
even Linux users can use the same software as everyone else, through
their browsers. With other popular programs like Skype and Adobe Flash
producing Linux versions, the Linux desktop may finally be catching
on!

reply:

      If by cloud computing it is meant running software somewhere other than your computer, as web-based applications would, then there is nothing new here other than a catchy name as a marketing tool.  So I do not see how that will benefit GNU/Linux. As far as GNU/Linux catching on we must be careful with whom we dance.  If one's goal is to promote the Free Software Foundation then giving up freedom for the ability to run popular or convenient programs would be counter productive.  If by Linux you are referring to a kernel then your use of the term is prudent.  However, if you are referring to an operating system please use the name GNU/Linux, after all it's the GNU that guarantees it's freedom.

* Excerpt: When combined with the other chapters that include
statutory damages, search and seizure powers for border guards,
anti-camcording rules, and mandatory disclosure of personal
information requirements, it is clear that there is no bigger
intellectual property issue today than the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
Agreement being negotiated behind closed doors this week in Korea.

reply:

     I am a bit confused here, what are you addressing specifically, copyright, patent or trademark laws?  The term "intellectual property does not convey a clear meaning for me.