Re: [fsf-community-team] Philippines Acer Linpus thing

From: Sergey Korobitsin
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Philippines Acer Linpus thing
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:30:14 +0600

Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 14:16 +1300 Simon Bridge воздействовал на энтропию:
> Any Philippines people here?
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/acer-bad-distro
>
> [ ... ]
>
> In NZ we have had a similar issue with the Acer Aspire 4315
> mini-notebook which was sold through a major retailer in NZ with a
> hobbled installation of Ubuntu 7.10
>
> http://www.hbclinux.net.nz/acer4315.html
>
> [ ... ]

Hello! I'm not from Philippines, but I wanted to forward  here my letter
about a similar case:

<-->

I've found information about unusable Linux installations at Acer Aspire
Notebook via http://www.opennet.ru, and remembered that when our company
have bought two notebooks with preinstalled Linpus Linux. When they were
turned on, there was only a command line with root logged in, and no
X11, KDE/Gnome, etc. I thought that Linpus is some kind of "stub" Linux
then. Now I saw at their site, that it is not true. Also, we've
installed
our Arta OS distribution (Debian-based), and found that the integrated
WiFi does not work. Such kind of a Linux support from Acer has
disappointed
us.

The notebook model was Acer eMachines е725, there was information about
Linux and GPL in the box, and no CD or DVD for Linpus. What a bad joke.

<-->

--
Best regards, Sergey Korobitsin
Arta Software, Astana, KZ