[fsf-community-team] what the hell

From: jeff cliff
Subject: [fsf-community-team] what the hell
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:56:07 -0800

    sometimes activist here.
    I should point out that while I have been an actual FSF member in
the
    past(2002-3!), I have fallen under tough times again and again and
again
    and currently am about at the end of my budget for the
    semester(hopefully my last towards a computer science degree). I
have
    been quoted by my local federal MP here in Canada in his press
    literature in support of copyright reform(who according to recent
news
    reports was not that far away from being prime minister), am one of
two
    organizers for the Fair Copyright in Saskatchewan group, and have
also
    been summarized by Michael Geist as well. I am in general, a free
    software zealot, although there are limited situations where I can
be
    coerced into using unfree software. That being said I might be
failing
    another university class this semester(which might postpone my
degree
    ANOTHER year) because of my refusal to use proprietary software in
the
    labs, so I'd say I'm pretty hardcore.
    In general though, I'm a (CC-BY-SA) musician, and computer science
    student. Once my semester ends I might have some (*gasp*) free time
and
    although I can't write all too well I *AM* tangled pretty deep into
the
    blogosphere, and since I have worked coding free software for a
living
    I'd say it's possible that I could end up doing it again, especially

    once I get my degree.

- Ignored:
    1) Send us a quick introduction. What blogs, news sites, or
communities
    do you follow?
    What--if any--areas would you like to focus on?

    Although I couldn't possibly try to keep current with all of them, I

    tend to read ~100 posts a day from about 150 different sources, and
    about 10 a day from a list of 1700 "trusted" sources. So...a lot. I
also
    usually maintain at least a dozen active conversation
threads/flamewars
    at once. I'm an internet/reddit addict, really. I'm not really sure
what
    would be meant by 'focus'. I'm pretty scatterbrained at the best of
    times, and on the internet...hey look shiny! In general though,
being
    Canadian I drift towards anything related to Canadian copyright(and
if
    it need be, patent law or other law, such as ACTA that impacts the
    development of software or creation of music).

    Just pulling from a hat, a subset of what I follow...
    your typical news sites, including some french ones as I try to pick

    that up:
    /., BBC News, boingboing, ars technica, Le Monde, Groupe CNW, Le fil
de
    presse du Devoir Communiqués français de la journée

    reddit:
    subreddits business, science, tech, anarchism, wearethemusicmakers,
    cogsci, reddit.com, wtf, worldnews, pics, and news, with some others

    thrown in for good measure.

    saskatchewan(Canada) blogosphere:
    SaskBlogs Aggregator 2.0 (basically a list of who's-who on the
    Saskatchewan blogosphere,
    including left and right sides of it, from smalldeadanimals to
buckdog)

    Random blogs otherwise to give an example:
    michael geist, abanadoned stuff by saskboy, marginal revolution,
    techdirt, zerohedge, a bunch of conservative blogs (I'm about the
only
    person on the left in quite afew)

    2) Reply to the list, letting us know when you've read these three
    articles about FSF's basic philosophy and political approach, along
with
    any questions you have (questions are good!).

    Never seen the 'words to avoid' page before:
    * I am not opposed to avoiding the term "cloud computing" but am
curious
    what terms better describe a system that approximates a "true"
turing
    machine by abstracting the amount of memory available to as much as
    user pays for it. Although it's still not a "true" turing machine,
it's
    a hell of a lot closer than we've ever come to building one. It
might be
    absolutely unfree, unfriendly to use, and just plain bad
economics...but
    it's possible to imagine a situation where such a system could be,
say,
    community owned.
    So I guess the questions would be
    a) what *is* the term for a turing-machine-approximator in this
manner?
    b) is a community owned break-even datacentre necessarily unfree for
its
    members?
    c) is said turing machine approximator necessarily harmful?

    * I am probably too much of a lamer to dispute the FSF on their
    definition of hacker, but I'm sticking to the broad umbrella group
    definition of someone who creatively subverts systems in ways not
    designed by their designers, ideally by creating, and use of
creativity
    and technical skill in that area. Including intrusion(not merely the
use
    of a script, but actual research & pwning a system through knowledge
of it).

    3) Write some short responses to these excerpts below, as if you
were
    responding with a short comment to somebody's blog post on FSF's
behalf.
    These are representative of the sort of things we often find
ourselves
    responding to. Be polite, concise, and--most of all--make sure you
hit
    the most important points.

    This will give us an idea of your writing style, and it gives FSF
staff
    and other volunteers on the list a chance to offer feedback and show
you
    the ropes.

        * "Linux is awesome for checking email and browsing the web."

    *twitch* *twitch*. Is this some kind of a test to see if I'll point
out
    that it is GNU/Linux? I try to choose my battles a little in
general,
    and I don't think that they'll "get it". However I try to make sure
that
    people I interact with on a more regular basis than a single blog
    posting get reminded periodically that it is, in fact, GNU/Linux.
    Second: They are promoting free software, even if they don't know it
and
    are actually diminishing the value of said software, and I'm kind of

    used to the opposite. I guess though if I were actually writing ON
    BEHALF of the FSF I might simply pull a reddit-style

     > "*GNU/*Linux is awesome for checking email and browsing the web."
    FTFY.

    But that might get old after the first 5,000 times. I guess that's
why
    we're being called to help :)

     > "But make no mistake, if the real version 2 of the European
    Interoperability Framework is anything like the one discussed above,

    with its pathetically devalued definition of openness, and its
espousal
    of the risible “openness continuum”, it will represent a huge
setback
    for the use of free software in Europe, and a major boost for
    closed-source software producers and the patents they all-too often
    claim there - even though software cannot be patented “as such” in
    Europe." Link

<http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2620&blogid=14>(You

    could parse this one in a few different ways, the quibble here at
best
    could be pretty minor: use of 'closed-source' instead of
'proprietary'.
    Everything else would be context dependent. )

    Just a nitpick, but there is ambiguity created by your use of
    'closed-source' in reference to
    free software. The opposite of free software is unfree, or
proprietary
    software. Closed
    refers only to a subset of this class of software. See (this link)
for
    details :)
    (I'd only say this if I were particularly anal, chances are, like
the
    above, I'd pass over it since they were close)

     >"When combined with the other chapters that include statutory
damages,
    search and seizure powers for border guards, anti-camcording rules,
and
    mandatory disclosure of personal information requirements, it is
clear
    that there is no bigger intellectual property issue today than the
    Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement being negotiated behind closed
doors
    this week in Korea." Link
    <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4510/125/>

    This sentence would make a lot more sense without the inclusion of
the
    misnomer "intellectual property".
    (Unless someone else mentions this, I am quite often the person that

    brings this up already).

    All 3 of these however have been potential allies, so I can see why
    you'd want to be careful with them.

    tmg1
    http://themusicgod1.livejournal.com/profile

--