[fsf-community-team] debut

From: Mike VandeVelde
Subject: [fsf-community-team] debut
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:28:13 -0800

Hi all. My name is Mike VandeVelde. I read The Register fairly regularly. Sometimes Slashdot, once in a while Kuro5hin. More and more rarely Wired.

I don't believe in intellectual property. Any step away from ideas as tradeable commodities will get my support. I believe that lawyers & marketers & bankers & insurance salesmen & etc are parasites on society. I don't hold it against any individual trying to support a family, but do what I can to deny support to the whole system. I support freedom in general, as long as you aren't harming anyone then I will stand with you against those who would oppress you.

The Free Software Definition sounds good to me.

I don't spend a lot of time meditating on the difference between Free Software and Open Source. Communist is not an insult to me. I have no hang ups about any assumptions you might make about me because of my support for Free Software. People who support Open Source but aren't comfortable going as far as Free Software won't get a whole lot of grief from me.

Copyright was a temporary compromise made necessary by the scarcity of copies. Copies are basically limitless now, so I no longer see any point to copyright. Shouting "Thief!" because of *copyright infringement* in insulting. Patents are not contributing as much innovation as they are stifling. Discard patents and let the fittest survive. Trademarks are related to personal identity - a very complicated problem. I cheer for the underdog in almost all trademark disputes. I have no genius solution to put forward in place of current trademark law.

I am by no means a zealot when it comes to using non-Free Software. I would like to be able to be a purist, but this is real life and I can compromise. I have almost no patience though for software that actively messes with my freedom, so RealAudio has never even been an issue for me. I used .png instead of .gif whenever I could. I live in an .odf world. I rip all my music to .ogg. Things like that - I will endure the minor hardship of something like not every portable music player being able to play my music files in order to avoid harsh Digital Restrictions Management. Wherever there are options, I lean heavily towards the one that seems to offer more freedom.

"we do not want to be confused with the open source camp, so we are careful to avoid saying things that would encourage people to lump us in with them" I find that kind of a shame, but understandable I guess. I would rather that Free Software was an elite brigade in the Community Development Movement, proud to claim use of Open Source Methodology. I imagine it can get tedious to start every conversation with "But we're not the same as Open Source because...", but I do understand the motivation to not be associated with that bunch of lily livered equivocators ;-)

No problem with the rest of the list.

"Richard Stallman started the FSF in order to promote open source software like the Linux operating system, as an alternative to expensive software like Windows."

It's not an issue of cheap / expensive. It's an issue of letting your hardware do mysterious things for unknown reasons. If that's OK with you, then use Windows. It's also an issue of End User License Agreements. If you don't mind paying to use software on your hardware only in the way some corporation demands, then use Windows. It's also an issue of bugs and annoyances and being told that they will be fixed if and when it makes economic sense. If you don't see the point in being able to have fixes and make changes without the go ahead from some corporation, the feel free (lol!) to use Windows.

"Now with cloud computing and web-based applications, even Linux users can use the same software as everyone else, through their browsers. With other popular programs like Skype and Adobe Flash producing Linux versions, the Linux desktop may finally be catching on!"

People are free to do whatever they want with a Linux desktop, so if those are the kinds of things they choose to do then all the less power to them. The Linux desktop is a powerful experience as is, there is no need to dumb it down to a simple front end for the commercial machinations of far off corporate overlords. There are alternatives that offer more respect for your freedom, but you are free to move with the herd if that's the kind of person you are.

"When combined with the other chapters that include statutory damages, search and seizure powers for border guards, anti-camcording rules, and mandatory disclosure of personal information requirements, it is clear that there is no bigger intellectual property issue today than the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement being negotiated behind closed doors this week in Korea."

Preach on brother! Here in Canada multiple attempts to escalate intellectual property regulations through our parliament have been unsuccessful, meanwhile the USA has been having a fairly easy time with their bilateral trade agreements. So now we have a new Goliath, similar to the Multilateral Agreement on Investment from years ago - let's hope it dies the same fiery death!!

Well how is that? I am a sarcastic bastard, and long drawn out flame wars can be fun. I am yours to command :-)

Mike VandeVelde