[fsf-community-team] Otero's answer to the welcome "fsf-community-team"

From: enriqueotero
Subject: [fsf-community-team] Otero's answer to the welcome "fsf-community-team"
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:40:04 -0600

> 1) Send us a quick introduction.
Hello everyone:

My natural language is Spanish, so please, be patient while reading
these message. :)

1 .- I'm Enrique Otero, student of the last semester of Political
Science at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM). For two
and a half years I spent much of my time researching the relationship
between politics and technology, specifically free software as a social
movement.

I keep the blog "www.revapaus.org" (the name means "return to freedom"),
the blog is published in "mx.planetalinux.org" (I don't like the name)
and similar sites but less visible.

I'm a free software activist and succeed in creating a small group of
users of GNU / Linux on the FCPyS-UNAM, my school.
> 2) Let us know that you've read these five articles about the FSF's
> basic philosophy and common mistakes that people make.

2 .- I read all the proposed documents and others, like The Lessig's
Code 2.0. I think I understand quite well the texts.

> 3) Write some short responses to these excerpts below, as if you were
> responding with a short comment to somebody's blog post.

3 .- My natural language is Spanish, however I understand English around
85%, and writing 50%. Is this a reason for not participating? There is a
lot of sites, blogs, online press, and social networking sites in
Spanish related to free software and there is where I really like to
participate.

Because of this, will discuss the passages in my natural language first,
forward you can find automatic generated translations (I use "Apertium"
to do the translations and then i add some corrections)
>     * Excerpt: Richard Stallman started the FSF in order to promote
> open source software like the Linux operating system, as an
> alternative to expensive software like Windows.

3.1- SPANISH
Hay Varios problemas en lo que mencionas. Las detalles que te comento
son importantes, por favor no los pierdas de vista: a) RMS fundó la FSF
para promover el uso y creación de Software Libre, no del OSS; b) Linux
no es el sistema operativo, es tan solo el núcleo Kernel, el sistema
operativo se llama GNU/Linux o GNU+Linux. c) El problema no es el precio
del software, es el control que el usuario tiene sobre su informática.
Es un asunto de libertad mas no de precio.

Saludos cordiales
Enrique Otero

3.1- ENGLISH
There are Several problems in what mention. The details that comment you
are important, please do not lose them of view: to) RMS founded the FSF
to promote the use and creation of Free Software, no of the OSS; b)
Linux is not the operative system, It is only the core Kernel, GNU/Linux
or GNU+Linux is the correct and complete name. c) The problem is not the
price of the software, is the control that the user has on his
computing, It is a matter of freedom not of price.

Cordial greetings
Enrique Otero

>     * Excerpt: Now with cloud computing and web-based applications,
> even Linux users can use the same software as everyone else, through
> their browsers. With other popular programs like Skype and Adobe Flash
> producing Linux versions, the Linux desktop may finally be catching
> on!

3.2.- SPANISH
Existen algunos problemas con "computo en la nube", de hecho representa
una seria amenaza a la libertad de los usuarios de computadoras. En el
caso del SO GNU/Linux es probable que si, los usuarios puedan acceder al
mismo software, sin embargo, quienes utilizamos GNU/Linux nos
preocupamos más por nuestra libertad que por "utilizar las mismas
aplicaciones". En "la nube" los usuarios de computadoras no poseen
control sobre su información ni sobre el software que utilizan, por lo
que su libertad (es decir, las 4 libertades del software libre) es
imposible de alcanzar, al menos por el momento.

Saludos cordiales
Enrique Otero

3.2.- ENGLISH
Exist some problems with "cloud computing", in fact represents a serious
threat to the freedom of the users of computers. In the case of the OS
GNU/Linux is likely that the users can access to the same software,
however, those who used GNU/Linux worry more by our freedom that to "use
the same applications". In "the cloud" the users of computers do not
possess control on his information neither on the software that use, by
what their freedom (is to say, the 4 freedoms of the free software) is
impossible to achieve, at least by the moment.

Cordial greetings
Enrique Otero
>     * Excerpt: When combined with the other chapters that include
> statutory damages, search and seizure powers for border guards,
> anti-camcording rules, and mandatory disclosure of personal
> information requirements, it is clear that there is no bigger
> intellectual property issue today than the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
> Agreement being negotiated behind closed doors this week in Korea.
>
> (From http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4510/125/)

3.3.- SPANISH
Me permito comentarle que la expresión "propiedad intelectual" es
ambigua, puede significar muchas cosas;  sería mejor emplear términos
que refieran a las leyes y/o delitos específicos de que se trata.  Así
puede ser, según el caso,  referencia a copyright, patentes, derecho de
autor, o marcas registradas. Cada uno de los anteriores es un tema
específico.

Saludos cordiales
Enrique Otero

3.3.- ENGLISH
Please allow me comment to you that the expression "intellectual
property" is ambiguous, can mean a lot of things; it would be better to
employ terms that refer to the laws and/or specific crimes that you
treat . Like this can be, as the case, reference to copyright, patents,
right of author, or registered marks. Each one of the previous is a
specific subject.

Cordial greetings
Enrique Otero

So thats all for now... ¿Whats next?