[fsf-community-team] Introduction

From: Edward Cherlin
Subject: [fsf-community-team] Introduction
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 20:35:26 -0800

I have been involved in Free Software since before the name existed.
Currently, I work on Free Software and Free replacements for printed
textbooks with One Laptop Per Child, Sugar Labs, FLOSS Manuals,
Creative Commons ccLearn, and others.

http://wiki.laptop.org/
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/
http://www.flossmanuals.net/ (NOT the .org, which is a dentistry site ^_^)
http://learn.creativecommons.org/

The invitation asks me to respond to these three sentences.

    * "Linux is awesome for checking email and browsing the web."

Free software applications for the GNU/Linux operating system, such as
Epiphany and Firefox, are excellent for e-mail and Web browsing. In
addition to providing software freedom, they are much more secure than
the most widely used nonfree software.

    * "But make no mistake, if the real version 2 of the European
Interoperability Framework is anything like the one discussed above,
with its pathetically devalued definition of openness, and its
espousal of the risible “openness continuum”, it will represent a huge
setback for the use of free software in Europe, and a major boost for
closed-source software producers and the patents they all-too often
claim there - even though software cannot be patented “as such” in
Europe." Link

Yes, let's lose the loaded words and phrases, and discuss facts.

The proposed EIF discusses "openness" rather than software freedom,
and does so in a weak manner that would fail to protect essential
freedoms in Europe. Free Software will continue to progress in Europe
with or without official protection, but we would prefer policies that
reflect the public interest better.

    * "When combined with the other chapters that include statutory
damages, search and seizure powers for border guards, anti-camcording
rules, and mandatory disclosure of personal information requirements,
it is clear that there is no bigger intellectual property issue today
than the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement being negotiated behind
closed doors this week in Korea."

Hype. Back to facts.

When...requirements, it is clear that the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
Agreement being negotiated behind closed doors this week in Korea
raises serious issues for the Free Software/Free Information
community.
http://www.earthtreasury.org/