[fsf-community-team] Re: Welcome to the "fsf-community-team" mailing lis

From: Christos Iossifides
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:57:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi to all.

I'm Ch Iossif from ATH, Greece. [ http://users.ntua.gr/chiossif/index-en.html ]
I'm following one greek newspaper (www.tanea.gr) and a few news sites. But I'm
only posting if I'm sure that I'll have contribution in the Free Software
movement.
Major sites are www.insomnia.gr, www.e-pcmag.gr, www.adsl.com,
www.linux-format.gr and more less popular.
I'm focusing esp. on the Linux (you won't find any GNU/Linux labeled theme :-(
) and on C programming ( K&R styled :-) )
Finally my main Facebook (sorry!) activity is to "administer" the Ελεύθερο
Λογισμικό (Free Software in Greek) group on Facebook.
There where two more named "Free Software... trapped by capitalism" and "It is
Free and... benefit"  (translated from Ελεύθερο Λογισμικό… Παγιδευμένο στον
καπιταλισμό!Είναι ελεύθερο και... συμφέρει! ) none of them PURE Free Software
related.

I've just read the words to Avoid while I've read the main (Definition and Open
Source  a long time ago).
I'll read  the 3rd and 4th.

I have to say that I'd like to take my chances and in case of help needed I'll
ask for the ropes.This for an advance.
But if you want to read me:

    * Excerpt: Now with cloud computing and web-based applications,
even Linux users can use the same software as everyone else, through
their browsers. With other popular programs like Skype and Adobe Flash
producing Linux versions, the Linux desktop may finally be catching
on!
   * Ch Iossif: Human you missed the point. Even with cloud computing based
totally on Free Software you would miss the way to stand up for your rights if
you do not start "freeing" your WC (and switch it to a PC) with a GNU/Linux
Operating system. You'll get ALL of the "offered" apllications by using the
Free Software and you will stay away not only from the shop but mainly from
the EULAs and their copyright policy. Sorry but Linux does not need proprietary
software to catch on. If you find Free Software more difficult to get used to
(Best software is what you know best) I'll have to reply: You can not teach
an old dog new tricks. Choose...

I used to reply to thanks by "If you feel you have to thank someone don't. Join
the community with your own mind and time and do the same as a public/social
offer"

Take care,
Ch Iossif