fsedu-developers

Re: [Fsedu-developers] FreeSoftwareInEducation

From: chrismo
Subject: Re: [Fsedu-developers] FreeSoftwareInEducation
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:46:01 +1000

Sorry to resend this message but I used the wrong identity the first time.

Hi all,

Here's the project I use to raise awareness of the gnu project.
http://coorparoshs.eq.edu.au/home/charv65/

As you can see its just something I've put together in my home folder at a
high school where I used to work but now volunteer. I've given copies of the
live-cd to University teachers/students, High school teachers, special
education teachers and home users. I've been viewing it as the local version
of a Gnu Linux in education project and have managed to recruit a few
experienced people. I've also been participating in the qsite mailing list
which offers professional support in my state for all school network admin,
IT co-ordinators, teachers etc. Its very hard to educate some of those people
and I cant understand why they won't help. Most of them have big job titles
that don't match the simple questions they ask.

I've been a big rms fan over the last few years and saw him when he came to
Brisbane.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~chrismo/images.html
I knew what I was doing when I started work at the schools and won't continue
what i call "double-agent mentality", though it seemed necessary to research
the current situation. Switching back to volunteer status seems to have
removed that problem.

As a computer assistant I have 8 months experience at a high school and 4
months experience at a special school where I was recently released from my
contract after disagreeing to be forced to only use MS software, they said
its policy and I don't have a choice, during my application interview I told
them I can solve alot of problems with free software and even explained the
gpl, they had 3 people taking notes during that interview but I can only
guess they didn't understand what I was talking about and hired me anyway. I
don't want to be part of the blocking problem so I don't know whether its
worth persuing that. They will say I quit and sweep the whole issue under the
carpet which is not true. On the 2nd Dec 04 my boss at the normal high school
agreed to allow us to create a Gnu Linux project but classroom space is at a
premium, so it may be a small project.

I've been invited to National Linux Conference in April 2005 in Canberra. I
live in Queensland, Australia. I would like to see something like
fsfaustralia.org and like to learn what's involved in setting up a
foundation. I'm not wealthy, so the main resources I have so far is
volunteers, some limited web space and the research material from the
experience with the current local university/high/special ed school system.
I am concerned about releasing the detailed results of my research to the
public.

I was hoping there's an honorary way for me to join the fsf or fsedu, I don't
have a credit card and my spare money has been going into the fedu project,
that is really just promoting awareness of the gnu project and fsf which if
successful will allow me to further my own education and work without having
to compromise my ethical views. I've always considerred raising awareness of
the gnu project to be the main goal and will continue trying.

I look forward to your advice and hopefully can keep the momentum going for
this project.

Happy Hacking
Chris Harvey