fsedu-developers

[Fsedu-developers] suspicion of software that is Free and unhindered

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Fsedu-developers] suspicion of software that is Free and unhindered
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:01:44 GMT

absurd writes on OpenOffice:

    There seems to be a suspicion of software that is Free and
    unhindered. This is not an isolated problem and it must be
    overcome. The issue should be addressed and confronted here at
    fsedu because it affects instutitions decisions and policies as
    well.

Barring making GNU/Linux distributions appear less free:
http://humorix.org/about-linux/articles/aug01/security-holes.shtml
http://www.mslinux.org/

Charge more, put in big, shiny boxes with useless manuals loaded with
screenshots.  Or, crazy nonsense like this:

  a stable, multi-user, cross-platform, cross-language, multi-Virtual
  Machine, minimally configured environment for writing responsive,
  trusted network applications that can cooperate with each other over
  multiple network transports chosen by their users

Ok, that's not *that* bad, but you see what I mean.

I also hear that many corporate sites are now using Apache without
management consent.  A wrapper or patch or whatever makes Apache look
like IIS or whatever nonsense externally.

Anyway, what I am saying is, barring all this, what would you suggest?

I think I will redesign one of the FSEdu sites now.  I'm just that
pleased about the wiki being back up, and I've actually gotten alot
done programming-wise in the past week (!), so no worries there.

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

The trouble with opportunity is that it always comes disguised as hard work.
                -- Herbert V. Prochnow

plutonium cracking SWAT MD5 halcon INS BLU-114/B Croatian Chobetsu
NORAD bank Firewalls NWO red noise enforcers