fsedu-developers

Re: [Fsedu-developers] Reorganization of the wiki

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Fsedu-developers] Reorganization of the wiki
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:44:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Peter Minten <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I talked to mdupont on IRC yesterday about reorganizing the wiki so
> that books
> and other educational material can be written in it. We agreed on the
> following
> approach:
> * The wiki pages will be a mix of RDF, BookML (aka Docbook + MathML +
> ChemML)
> and wiki type markup.
> * Scripts will transform the wiki pages into the following output
> formats:
>   - Wiki HTML
>   - Docbook
>   - LaTeX
>   - RDF

In terms of step towards this, I would suggest the following :

We need to start with the oddmuse wiki, an usemod derivitive.
That is the current fsedu wiki.

The first step will be an export system that will allow for
an next to raw export of the wikis current content. I would suggest a
simple xml format, as close to docbook as we can be.

Lets call this OddMuse:Raw.

This will then be locked down as an import format. A simple tool to
convert a given bdb (berkleydb) page that currently represents a given
oddmuse page will be made. Then you can just reach in an change a page.

>From there, we need to be able to invoke the translation service of the
oddmuse that will translate a page with native oddmuse encoding into
html. That will be then able to just "interpret" a given page into Html
or even DocBook.

These two formats will be augmented by rdf attributes that allow for
dublin core metadata and other rdf annotation.

There is of course the possibility to make a mixed version of
OddMuse:Raw and DocBook, but I think that would be another step.

For viewing, we can use Xslt transformations into Latex and other
formats. We will also need to have a standard header for the pages, the
header will determine the content of the page.

In particular, we need to be able to hold docbook pages directly in the
wiki. The oddmuse xml will allow for such an application.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/