Inconsistent endianness in differing bitmap depths

From: Archer Pergande
Subject: Inconsistent endianness in differing bitmap depths
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 23:57:44 -0400

Hello freetype team,

I have been using freetype for a couple months now and I have noticed some
inconsistencies with how freetype generates bitmaps using
FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO (1-bit depth) and FT_RENDER_MODE_DEFAULT (8-bit depth).
When using mono mode, the bitmap is rendered in big endian format where the
most significant bit is the leftmost pixel, while in default mode the
bitmap is rendered in little endian, consistent with my cpu. I am unsure of
whether default mode stays consistent with the cpu architecture, but I
would assume so. I would like some clarification as to why this behavior is
happening. I am also happy to provide some code examples.

Thanks for the help.