Re: Font Rendering: Multiple FT_Faces and baselines

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Font Rendering: Multiple FT_Faces and baselines
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 03:56:11 +0000 (UTC)

[It would be nice if you could use a decent e-mail writer that creates
 readable plain-text messages (which we prefer on this mailing list),
 without completely garbling quoted material.]

> > This looks like a logic error in your program.  If I say `ftdump
> > cjk.otf` I get
> >
> > ```
> >     ascender: 1160
> >     descender: -288
> > ```
> >
> > among other data.
> >
> > The output of `ftdump en.ttf` gives
> >
> > ```
> >     ascender: 935
> >     descender: -265
> > ```
> >
> > This is perfectly fine.  [...]
>
> Thank you for pointing it out.  I'm unsure about the strategy to
> align the baselines.  The simplest would be aligning to the lowest /
> highest baselines, but that may break some faces.

Uh, oh, please update your knowledge on how fonts are actually working
within the frame of typography.  There is no 'lowest' or 'highest'
baseline – there is only *the* baseline (assuming horizontal
typesetting).  It is the very idea of a baseline that *all* glyphs of
*all* fonts are by default aligned on that!  There exist additional
concepts like superscript or subscript, but this is something else and
not relevant here, as far as I can see.

Maybe you want to achieve something different, I don't know.  Please
educate yourself in advance to use the right technical terms so that
we can actually communicate without misunderstandings.

You might have a look at

  https://freetype.org/freetype2/docs/glyphs/glyphs-3.html

as a starter.