Re: Arial looks different in Win7 and Wine

From: Peter Grandi
Subject: Re: Arial looks different in Win7 and Wine
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 19:00:14 +0100

> [ ...] So, as soon as I would use the original MS Arial font,
> I would also have the original Microsoft glyph?

Mostly, to be more precise you have the original Microsoft glyph
*description*, this is rasterized by the glyph-renderer,
different ones can result in slightly different glyphs.

> Are these rendering DLLs (you mentioned) needed -only for
> "Simple rasterization without anti-aliasing" or -only for
> "Rasterization with anti-aliasing" or -are "these rendering
> DLLs" needed for both "Simple rasterization without
> anti-aliasing" and "Rasterization with anti-aliasing"

These are done by glyph-rendering libraries (e.g. FreeType etc.)
which are invoked by the text-rendering libraries (e.g.  under
GNU/Linux Pango/Cairo or HarfBuzz etc.).

There is more context here:

  http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxFonts.html

Dealing with fonts is not simple.