Re: Freetype with CMake 3.17 and higher versions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Freetype with CMake 3.17 and higher versions
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 03:39:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Momo,

> Afaik, since CMake 3.17 the following warnings have been generated
> when generating the projects: [...]

Thanks for the report.

> We changed to 2.10.2 in hope of an updated CMake file that fixes
> this but the same problem remains, and moreover BrotliDec issues the
> same warning.  Not being familiar with the warning/problem I dug a
> bit deeper into it and my wild guess is that warning is generated
> because of an outdated Harfbuzz module. Right now there are several
> ways to avoid the warnings:

This might be the reason, yes.

> Is there any plan to fix this for a new release, or is there any
> simple way to do it without having to do a lot of changes in the
> CMakeLists or CMake modules?

In the long run we will probably move to Meson as a build system,
which has the ability to auto-generate support files for CMake.

> The notes mention that the developer team doesn't normally use
> CMakeLists.txt so I'm not sure if the CMake files are regularly
> maintained.

This is correct: CMake is not maintained by us.  If you can provide
small and simple patches we will gladly apply them.  However, if you
look into FreeType's bug tracker, there are already a bunch of patches
and/or problem reports w.r.t. CMake – none of us is an expert here,
and we simply don't know for sure how to solve it in the best way.