[ft] Use FreeType to get outline of an OpenType Variable Font after a de

From: Martin Kotulla (SoftMaker)
Subject: [ft] Use FreeType to get outline of an OpenType Variable Font after a design axis has been applied?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:37:31 +0200

List,

is there a way with FreeType to get the outline data (ideally, a full-fledged font) of an OpenType Variable Font, after a design axis (such as bolding or widening) has been applied?

I am looking at ways to embed such a font in PDF files that our Office suite SoftMaker Office creates.

As this is not only for Windows, but also for macOS, Linux and Android, anything that works cross-platform would be a huge bonus.

If FreeType doesn't offer it, does anyone know of other options?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH