undefined reference error when running c++ file depends on freetype2.5

From: Othman El-Kurdi
Subject: undefined reference error when running c++ file depends on freetype2.5
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:19:14 +0300

Hello everyone,

my name is Othman Kurdi, I am a software developer at Genie9 company. I would like to ask for your help regarding the following issue:

I'm trying to compile freetype2.5 on ubuntu 20.04 LTS (virtual machine), so that I can use it to compile a c++ script. where I'm facing lot's of errors.

Firstly, I've followed the following instructions to compile freetype2:
https://github.com/metafloor/bwip-js/wiki/Compiling-FreeType

I'm trying to run the following script:
https://gist.github.com/jokertarot/7583938

the errors which I'm getting are the following, they're all 'undefined reference to '####'';

1 . undefined reference to `FT_New_Face'
2 . undefined reference to `FT_Done_Face'
3 . undefined reference to `FT_Get_Char_Index'
4 . undefined reference to `FT_Load_Glyph'|
5 . undefined reference to `FT_Render_Glyph'|
6 . undefined reference to `FT_Load_Sfnt_Table'|
7 . undefined reference to `FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes'|
8 . undefined reference to `FT_Select_Size'|
9 . undefined reference to `png_create_write_struct'|
10. undefined reference to `png_create_info_struct'|
11. undefined reference to `png_set_longjmp_fn'|
12. undefined reference to `png_set_IHDR'|
13. undefined reference to `png_init_io'|
14. undefined reference to `png_malloc'|
15. undefined reference to `png_malloc'|
16. undefined reference to `png_set_rows'|
17. undefined reference to `png_write_png'|
18. undefined reference to `png_free'|
19. undefined reference to `png_free'|
20. undefined reference to `png_destroy_write_struct'|
21. undefined reference to `FT_Init_FreeType'|
22. undefined reference to `FT_Done_FreeType'|

The freetype library which I'm including to the gcc is located under the following path on my linux machine:
/usr/include/freetype2

My questions are:

  1. Did I compile freetype2 correctly? if not, how should I compile it correctly, can you please provide me with the correct instructions?
  2. might the problem be that I am not including the freetype library correctly to the compiler(gcc)?
  3. and for people who's familiar and experienced with freetype, can you provide me with clear instructions to follow while compiling it?

I've searched a lot for a solution, unfortunately, I didn't find anything in regard.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

regards,

Othman Kurdi