pkg-config --modversion freetype2

From: Timo Suoranta
Subject: pkg-config --modversion freetype2
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 11:07:59 +0300

When I run `pkg-config --modversion freetype2` on my Ubuntu 20.04, I get weird version number: `23.1.17`. This does not look like a freetype version number at all to me. Meanwhile, `apt show libfreetype6` gives me `Version: 2.10.1-2`. Could someone explain what this pkg-config version number is? Is it like that intentionally, and what is the logic, or is that a bug in the .pc file, or something else? Thank you!