Re: [ft-devel] Glitchy rendering of overlapping outlines in variable fon

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Glitchy rendering of overlapping outlines in variable fonts
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 20:06:16 -0400

> https://i.postimg.cc/VLLmQqV2/Bildschirmfoto-vom-2019-09-25-21-22-01.png
>
> Same thing in the variable TTF. Is this a known limitation in the
> renderer?

Yes, but I m not convinced that this is a limitation. An overlap is an
overlap, it does not matter if it within a glyph or between glyphs.
Suppose each contour has non-trivial opacity. What should be the
combined opacity for the overlaps within and between the glyphs? Some
will say that within a glyph overlapping contours are meant to be
merged by removing overlaps. Be my guest then, do that first before
rendering.