freetalk-dev

[Freetalk-dev] Re: Init problem with freetalk 0.69

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freetalk-dev] Re: Init problem with freetalk 0.69
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:45:13 -0700

,----[ Martin Schulze <address@hidden> ]
| hope you don't mind me blatantly interrupting you.
`----
Hi Martin, Never feel that way. You are contributing by reporting
bugs. I am travelling now a days. Thats why I am slow in replying ;)

,----[ Martin Schulze <address@hidden> ]
| I would like to change the prompt in freetalk 0.69 and am a bit
| lost as to how to achieve this.
|
| In 0.50 it was sufficient to write in freetalk.scm
|
| (ft-set-prompt! "new and fancy prompt ")
|
| This still works from within freetalk, but not from the freetalk.scm
| file.
|
| I used version 0.50 of freetalk and was able to add a post-login.scm
| by simply uncommenting the post-login-extensions-here.scm line in
| init.scm and loading a local file from there.  However, it seems
| that in 0.69 the internal order has been changed somehow and even if
| I place the above line in that file the prompt is still the system
| prompt.
`----
Now you have to set it through ft-login-hook, which is invoked after
login procedure with success or failure error status. Even status is
set here only.

;; Add this to your ~/.freetalk/freetalk.scm
(add-hook! ft-login-hook
           (lambda (status)
             (if status
                 (begin
                   (ft-set-prompt! "~\\/~ ")
                   (ft-set-status-msg! "I use GNU Freetalk")))))

I have fixed in the CVS to now correctly generate freetalk.scm when
run for the first time. Thanks for reporting.

,----[ Martin Schulze <address@hidden> ]
| Another problem is that another jabber user is sending me utf-8
| messages and the local system does not understand it.
|
| Before the message is displayed, it should be run through a converter
| from utf-8 -> iso-8859-1.  In C there is iconv for this purposed, so
| I assume Guile has support for it as well and that there's a way to
| add a hook so that freetalk can pass the incoming message through a
| filter before it is displayed and written to a file.
|
| Another issue would be support for GPG encrypted conversation
| as this is becoming popular and other clients (centericq, psi)
| are already supporting this.
|
| I'd be glad for any pointers.
`----
Vikas and Harsha are experts in these things. I will ask them to
implement these. Thanks again :)

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31