freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] S2882 how-to

From: Kurt Haegeman
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] S2882 how-to
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:53:07 +0100

Hi,

Bala.A wrote:
I applied the firmware, v1.74. I get less errors now, but still no
out-of-band IPMI. This is what I did: After the firmware update, I used
Util.exe to set the IP address to 192.168.1.60. I used the MAC address
of the 10/100Mbit Intel network interface, and entered the gateway's IP.
Rebooted, and through 'bmc-config --checkout', I saw that these settings
were OK.

For out-of-band, 10/100 Intel network interface should be up and working
in GNU/Linux with same IP address, netmask and gateway entries in
bmc-config checkout. Pinging to this network interface should work from
another machine , if its not, you have to fix basic networking in
GNU/Linux. (I think, you did it working)

Indeed, basic networking was already OK. Brought the interface up with the same IP address. Ping went OK. 'ipmiping 192.168.1.60' and 'rmcpping 192.168.1.60' NOK, a tcpdump showed that .60 returned a 'udp port 623 unreachable'. Problems with the card itself?

[Off Topic] I wonder: the interface must be brought up on the OS for the out-of-band to work? So if the OS crashes, and it takes the interface networking with it, you have no out-of-band anymore?

Please try these and let me know freeipmi out-of-band tools are working or
not.

So, unfortunately, they're not.

Thanks for your assistance,
Regards,