freehoo-devel

[Freehoo-devel] Re: freeipmi and GNU

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freehoo-devel] Re: freeipmi and GNU
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:12:26 -0800

Hugo Gayosso <address@hidden> writes:
> Questionnaire
> =============
>
> * General Information
> ** Package name and version:
freehoo 2.0.0

> ** Author <Email>:
Anand Babu address@hidden

> ** URL to home page (if any):
http://www.nongnu.org/freehoo/

> ** URL to sources (if any):
https://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=freehoo

> ** Brief description of the package:
Freehoo is a console based messenger for yahoo instant messenger
protocol. It has a neat context sensitive readline based user
interface. Freehoo is highly extensible with GNU's Ubiquitous
Intelligent Language for Extensions called Guile. Most of the core
functionalities are already written as extensions in Scheme.

> * Code
> ** Dependencies:
>     Please list the package's dependencies (source language, libraries, etc.).
      libguile
      libreadline
      libyahoo2 (GNU GPL, http://libyahoo2.sf.net)

> ** Configuration & compilation:
>     It might or might not use Autoconf/Automake, but it should meet GNU
>     Standards.  See http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_48.html.
Yes it uses GNU Autoconf/Automake

> ** Documentation:
>     We recommend using Texinfo (http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/)
>     for documentation, and writing both reference and tutorial
>     information in the same manual.  Please see
>     http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_32.html.
Yes it uses GNU Texinfo

> * Licensing:
>    This is crucial.  Both the software itself *and all dependencies*
>    (third-party libraries, etc.) must be free software in order to be
>    included in GNU.
>
>    Please see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html for a
>    practical guide to which licenses are free (for GNU's purposes) and
>    which are not.  Please give specific url's to any licenses involved
>    that are not listed on that page.
Freehoo and all its dependencies are licensed under GNU GPL

> * Similar projects:
>    Please search at least the
>    Free Software Directory (http://www.gnu.org/directory/)
>    and savannah.gnu.org (http://savannah.gnu.org/search/)
>    for projects similar to yours.  If any exist,
>    please explain what motivated you to write yours and what the
>    principal differences are.
Freehoo was previously known as GNUYahoo. The old name explains why
we needed to change the name. Before I started Freehoo, There was only
one client called Ariyahoo. I started patching it heavily, but at one
point it became impossible to maintain it further, because of it poor
design and coding standards. Ariyahoo is not maintained any more.

There are other GUI based messengers available for Yahoo.
Ayttm
Everybuddy
Fire
KYIM
Yahoo pager (BeOS)
Qazoo (Sharp Zaurus)

I also found one more in the savannah directory:
curphoo written in python with ncurses interface. They haven't
released anything yet.

AFIAK Freehoo is the only console based messenger with most
features, stability and users. Its already a part of
Debian GNU/Linux (sid)

--
 _.|_
(_||_)