[Freebangfont-devel] plan to create an unified layout table

From: Taneem Ahmed
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] plan to create an unified layout table
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:08:20 -0500 (EST)

Hey guys,

I remember someone here mentioned about having an unified OpenType
layout table for Bangla fonts, and I think it is about time. MS has
published a detailed document about creating Bangla fonts, and I think we
should come up with a *full* font. Having said that, I do know how much
work is involved to create a OpenType font, and I really appreciate
all the works done here.

Now here is a plan to make it easier to create new Bangla OpenType fonts.

1. Create one complete *master* Bangla OpenType font. This means all the
developers put together their experience and understanding to create the
layout table.

2. Give each glyph in this font an unique name (this is important)

3. Create program(s) such that if one wants to create a new Bangla
OpenType font, then:
   * s/he creates a TrueType font which has the same number of glyphs
     (and same names) as the master font, and
   * use the program to merge the layout table info to this font.

 One great thing about this process would be that people won't be stuck
with windows to create OpenTYpe fonts.

 BTW, I have already played with number 3. There are already existing
programs (GPLed) that dumps out OpenType fonts into xml format, and
reconstruct the font back based on this (or edited) xml file. I don't
think it will be difficult to modify this program. I volunteer for this
part.

Let me know what you guys think.

Taneem

If it is true that the only paradises are those we have lost, I know what
name to give the tender and inhuman something that dwells in me today.