[Freebangfont-devel] Looking for a Bangla linguistic ambiguity

From: Robin Upton
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Looking for a Bangla linguistic ambiguity
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 06:13:02 -0000

<DISCLAIMER SUITSYLE="FLAMEPROOF">
This is a posting which is by my own admission off topic. However, as an
altruistic
enterprise to help promote Bangla culture and language it may interest you.
You may
also have the knowledge I'm looking for - I guess 99% of you know Bangla
better than
me, so it's worth a shot...
</DISCLAIMER>

I'm working on a project to devise an Indic Fingerspelling system (details
for the
curious at www.altruists.org/projects/if) and we're tackling similar issues
about
how to convert Bangla into an unambiguous series of signs. I just need an
example
of the ambiguities which can arise and would like to use real Bangla words.
For
clarity of writing I could really do with the following...

pairs of homonyms:
        2 words written similarly but pronounced differently

pairs of words which differ only by a conjunct:
        2 different words which are spelt identically if you disregard conjuncts
        (i.e. one contains a conjunct, the other contains its components as
        separate letters - with or without the inherent vowel)

Thanks guys,

Robin Upton
Altruists International
www.altruists.org