Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Need ur help

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Need ur help
Date: 17 Dec 2002 00:29:05 +0530

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 17:33, Rajendra Shastrakar(Raj) wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are making a Devanagari OTF font , i was just reading ur .sfd
> AkaashNormal file. If you permit i would like to ask few question.
>
> 1. I have created a otf file ( basically i have made all the glyphs in
> pfaedit and made table and stuff from ttx file ). then i convert from otf
> to ttf ( by opening in pfaedit and exporting ) but pfaedit hangs ( i
> presume there is a problem with my format)...u have any suggestion in this

May be upgrading pfaedit can help. What version are you using??

> 2.What is the difference of having a kern pairs in <kern> tables and in
> <GPOS> tables , then i made it in kern table it works fine but not with
> GPOS... since GPOS gives more power should i go to GPOS ?

TTX/pfaedit combo cannot handle GPOS tables properly. So if you want to
use GPOS, you will need to use M$ VOLT.

> 3.PLEASE tell me a good test-bed (other then yudit) for OTF files where i
> can test my
> GPOS/GSUB rules ( btw yudit is not OTF testbed ...or isit? )

Yudit is not the right place. My personal suggestion is M$ IE 6.0. Since
OTF is primarily M$ technology, M$ tools are the best choice here. You
can Pango version 1.1.1 or above, but at least in Bengali, Pango has
some serious problems. Also, the final testing should be done by seeing
the same file in M$ IE 6, Pango 1.1.1 or higher, and Yudit.
HTH
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta [ http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/ ]

       * GNU is Not Unix *
.... Towards World Liberation ....
        http://www.gnu.org

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.