[Freebangfont-devel] OT: Pango and uniscribe ... GPL'ed ??

From: taneem
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] OT: Pango and uniscribe ... GPL'ed ??
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:59:34 -0500

> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 23:01, Anirban Mitra wrote:
> > Hi,
> > This information is for those who are lamenting that uniscribe is
> > not GPL'ed. The new version of Pango (version 1.1.3) uses uniscribe
> > for shaping as and when necessary in WIN32 platform. So if your
> > program is based on Pango it will automatically be supported by
> > uniscribe in MS Windows platform. And Pango is GPL'ed :).

If you are saying uniscribe is GPL'ed, then I am wondering Pango also uses MS's
API, display driver, etc. Does it mean everything is GPL'ed? Can you please
tell us where one gets the source code for uniscribe, as according to GPL the
source code *must* be provided.

If I am not mistaken, Pango uses the uniscribe dll, not it's source code.
Uniscribe does not need to be under GPL for this. Does that make any sense?

Taneem

This e-mail has undergone DECONtamination.
http://www.deconference.com
http://www.eyetap.org