[Freebangfont-devel] Re: [Bangla Penguin] Font Question

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: [Bangla Penguin] Font Question
Date: 27 Oct 2002 23:10:00 +0530

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 14:06, Gollum wrote:

> Hi I was messing around with fonts at xterm. then Something happened. I
> used akaash fonts. and I had changed the name of a file to bangala. and
> in xterm it showed the filename in bengali. I know there may be problems
> with rendering that but still it shows in bangala.What we need now is
> some way to improve the english glyphs in akaash. that would help a lot.
> gimli is that possible. I mean since it is english and I can read it. I
> could change the glyphs. but don't know how. can we copy the glyphs for
> the gnome standard font(whichever that is) into it.the the terminal
> would be cool. ls and you have filenames in bengali. maybe we could
> change ls the command itself to a bengali. does anyone know something
> about gnoterm. does it use pango to render it's fonts. I am finally
> figuring things out a bit.

You need to set the font of gnoterm to Akaash
But, for the terminal, a Monospaced font is reqd.
It's a bad idea to make the English glyphs MonoSpaced - because they
will look absolutely terrible :D
However, the English glyphs that are present now do not look very good
either - so, i will change these
in fact, i will be making some *major* changes in the font this week - a
lot of extra glyphs - restructuring of the OT tables, etc
if everything goes ok - i will be releasing it within the next sunday (i
have my SAT II on saturday - so don't be much sure :)

-iti-
sdg