fnkdat-discuss

Re: [fnkdat-discuss] Suggestion for name change

From: David MacCormack
Subject: Re: [fnkdat-discuss] Suggestion for name change
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:11:55 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Peter Wiehe wrote:

> I would suggest the name "Common Directories"(comdir.h) instead of Fnkdat.
>
> Of course this will not bring revolutionary public attention

Heh, I'm inclined to agree.

People seem to take two different approaches when naming a project:
cute/clever or "technical", and some project names are both.  The
name "fnkdat" is a nod to an old Beavis & Butthead cartoon.  I'm not sure
why I'm attached to it, but I like it.  I was aiming for "funk" as in
funky and "dat", short for data.

A search for "common directory" at savannah takes you to the fnkdat
project page, where the first sentence is:

   Fnkdat provides a platform independant interface for determining common
   directory names

which I hope explains it well.

I appreciate your feedback... I just don't think a new name would change
anything, and I like "fnkdat".

Dave

P.S.  I have to admit, it might be an interesting experiment to create an
exact clone of the project, but with the name "comdir" and see if it gets
any more attention ;)