fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] synth.audio-groups and LADSPA effects

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] synth.audio-groups and LADSPA effects
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 19:52:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

>Thanks for the clarifications, all! I thought the main issue was probably an ALSA limitation, but I think I can do what I want using JACK and the information you've given me.

Yes, Marcus has pointed an important limitation of most "Fluidsynth audio driver" in regard to synth.audio-channels. It seems that actually most "Fluidsynth audio driver" ignore "synth.audio-channels" setting. I don't think it is host device driver limitation (ALSA on linux,  or dsound on Windows).

On any system, as far the audio device card is multi channel capable, the host device driver should expose these capabilities. Then, it is up to the "fluidsynth audio driver" to follow and use these capabilities for "synth.audio-channels" value > 1. Be able to separate the audio rendered by MIDI Channel to distinct audio device card's audio port is a very useful feature. This should simplify

the architecture of the application making use of fluisdynth library. Because of this limitation many application could use a workaround relying to multiple instance pair (synth instance + audio driver instance) which is complicated, inefficient, not flexible. I will look, to see how we could suppress this limitation.

jjc

> Message du 04/08/20 21:43
> De : "Bill Peterson" <albedozero@gmail.com>
> Copie à : "Ceresa Jean-Jacques" <jean-jacques.ceresa@orange.fr>, "TomM." <tom.mbrt@googlemail.com>
> Objet : Re: [fluid-dev] synth.audio-groups and LADSPA effects

Thanks for the clarifications, all! I thought the main issue was probably an ALSA limitation, but I think I can do what I want using JACK and the information you've given me.

Hi,