fluid-dev

[fluid-dev] Using midi keyboard buttons to assign instruments?

From: George Poulson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Using midi keyboard buttons to assign instruments?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:34:39 +0000

Hi guys.

With my RPi 'mini-synthesizer' now working OK I'd like to know if it's possible to add a new feature:

I've already used one simple router rule to assign my keyboard 'volume' knob so as to vary the audio output level from the RPi by transforming command 20 to command 7:

========
router_begin cc
router_chan 0 15 0 0
router_par1 20 20 0 7
router_end
========

What I'd also like to be able to do is to use one or more of the unassigned buttons to step up and/or down through the instruments , and I can do this from the shell using "prog 0 <instrument >" where <instrument> is the value I get from the "inst <FontID>" command. Once assigned I can get the [textual] value of the assigned instrument from the 'channels' command.

My unassigned buttons produce cc commands of 127 on press and 0 on release, for example "cc 15 101 127" and "cc 15 101 0" but I can't figure out if (and if so - how) I can use use this to step up or down, as I would need to use a variable to store the current instrument value, but that doesn't seem possible within the basic shell functionality.

Is this possible to do within fluidsynth itself? I'm pretty sure I could do it using a shell script and telnet to port 9800, but that's probably one step further up the complexity ladder than I have time for right now.

Any thoughts anyone??

Thanks,
George