fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Problem starting Fluidsynth on a headless RPi

From: George Poulson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem starting Fluidsynth on a headless RPi
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 13:22:43 +0000

@Tom, thanks for your input.

As I mentioned in my last post to the list I am satisfied that the problem is not connected to MIDI connections. I can see the [automatic] connection confirmation messages and manually disconnecting and re-connecting the midi inputs using aconnect makes no difference to the lack of audio output.

I'm pretty sure that it is audio-path related but I'm no expert on alsa so I'm pretty much 'poking around in the dark' with a problem that may just not exist in a different environment.

George.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 05:51 Tom M. via fluid-dev, <address@hidden> wrote:
A few thoughts from my side...

> I have the suspicion that your MIDI keyboard is not yet fully registered as a MIDI device when fluidsynth starts.

This shouldn't matter. As soon as a new MIDI port is made available in
alsa_seq, fluidsynth receives an event about a new port becoming
available and automatically connects to it (provided it's a readable
port). In this case, fluidsynth prints a message to stdout:
"Connection of PORTNAME succeeded"

There is something else you could test: When starting fluidsynth, pass
the -v flag. This will activate synth.verbose causing the synth to
print all incoming messages, like noteons and CCs to stdout. That way
we could be sure that fluidsynth is receiving MIDI messages at all.

If you need some debug logging, you'll need to compile fluidsynth in
Debug mode, e.g. by passing -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug to cmake. (I
think I should make this a runtime option for the next release...)

Tom