fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Support for SF4 (FLAC) format?

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Support for SF4 (FLAC) format?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 15:57:57 +0100

Hi Reinhold,

Am So., 19. Jan. 2020 um 12:38 Uhr schrieb Reinhold Hoffmann
<address@hidden>:
> I tried a brief test converting various publicly available SF2 soundfont
> files to SF3 and SF4 format. The outcome was somehow disillusioning.
> Cracking and noises were created, but may be my fault that I did not use the
> tool correctly or may be the used SF2 source files were not adequate enough
> to be compressed.

Very interesting, thanks for explaining your use-case. How did you
test the converted SF4 files? Did you patch fluidsynth to allow FLAC
decompression? Or did you use a different synth?

> My conclusion for us: SF3 needs to stay and SF4 could be an option but only
> in case if there are good quality SF4 soundfont files available in the
> future.

It is not about removing ogg support in favour of flac, but rather
adding flac as an additional compression choice next to ogg vorbis. So
don't worry, SF3 is here to stay.

Cheers
Marcus