fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Getting all instrument names from a loaded soundfont fil

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Getting all instrument names from a loaded soundfont file
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:51:19 +0200

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM Kjetil Matheussen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > It's probably not much work parsing the soundfont files manually...
>
> Here's the spec: http://www.synthfont.com/sfspec24.pdf
> It's a common RIFF structure. In my experience, writing code to read
> and write riff files directly are often faster than trying to
> understand a 3rd party API.

Kjetil, "do-it-yourself" is poor advice. There are rules how to cope
with the file when parts of it are invalid. Not even libgig 4.1.0 does
an accurate job here as it rejects the whole file if it recognizes
e.g. invalid sample loops, which is against the spec though.

The question was how to do it with fluidsynth for both SF2 and SF3
files. And once fluidsynth supports DLS files, you can write a custom
parser for this as well. Ofc, you cannot know about those problems, as
you seem to prefer hard-coded fluidsynth 1.1.6 .

I encourage anybody to ask for help, rather than locking yourself up
in a dark room and start solving problems that have already been
solved. And I appreciate the input so far.

Tom