fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Questions on bug #470

From: Bo Granlund
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Questions on bug #470
Date: Mon Jun 17 14:45:02 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 05:50:24PM +0300 address@hidden wrote:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=570&group_id=1942
>
> [ Bug #570 ] Need to get back to Thread View from KB Write New Note
> form page
>
> The point here is that we need a link in the note creation form so the
> user can check some stuff from the KB, which I understand.
>
> However, I don't think most users will be able to open the link in a
> new browser window. And if this doesn't happen, we have the problem
> that the note the user was writing is left in the database as a
> temporary object. These temporary notes will accumulate. Currently it's
> a bit more difficult to "forget" a temporary note.
>
> So if we do allow a link out, we should either make is specifically
> open a new window (put a TARGET="_new" as an attribute to the A tag, no
> ****script needed) or then we'll need to implement a garbage collector
> that periodically cleans up the temporary notes. Option #1 is a lot
> easier to implement.

Please, #1 is not an option.

#2 is quite easy to do, I think. No garbage collection is needed.

The code would look like this:

class UserInfo:
        def get_current_course()
        def set_temporary(self, Note_obj):
                self.temp_notes[self.get_current_course()] =
                        Note_obj
        def get_temporary(self):
                return self.temp_notes[self.get_current_course()]

and then each time a note edit is started (i.e. user presses reply/edit/
create new note/create new course context/...) UserInfo.set_temporary is
called upon with the Note_obj argument. This registers the note edit as
the temporary edit session for that particular course. Ofcourse it will
not be possible to edit two notes at the same time in the same course (
two notes can't be temporary). Somekind of garbage collection would be
in place should it be possible to have multiple temporary edits, me
thinks.

Now if we come to a place where the user wants to continue her editing
of a note, we just end up calling UserInfo.get_temporary(), and get the
necessary context. No hassle.

I heard rumors that there would be an release on thursday. Is this
something that should go into the release?

Surely, these are divine moments of truth,
Bo