fhsst-admin-priv

[Fhsst-admin-priv] Re: fhsst

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-admin-priv] Re: fhsst
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:54:16 -0800

Hi Sam

We need to go easy on the windows people - all the chemistry we have received so far
was done by people who only know word so we must not discourage them.

It would be really great if this guy could come up with some essays for us. I only have 3
of them organised at the moment

Mark

Sam Halliday wrote:

hi there,

thanks for getting in contact! :-)

how did you find out about out project? we are interested to see what is
effective at getting new recruits.

the book itself is written in LaTeX, and since there are many authors,
we keep the book centralised and synchronised using CVS on the GNU
savannah server:

 http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=fhsst

we are currently thinking up a list of lots of things that people like
yourself could be involved in... please elaborate on your skills so that
i can see what is best suited: for example, could you please tell me
your level of understanding of the following:

 - using CVS
 - editing LaTeX files
 - education level of the sciences/maths
 - geographical location
 - graphics (making posters etc)
 - printing press access: i.e. practical stuff

Mark Gilbert wrote:
I suppose my main contribution ability would be editing.  How do I go
about getting involved?

well, if you want to contribute content, then the best thing to do is to
checkout the latest CVS, edit a file and send either myself, mark,
spencer or the mailing list a patch (or your edited file).

we have not had any foreign language contributors, as of yet, and the
book is too young for us to be considering a translation... but thanks
for the offer anyway.

you say you would be interested in editing? what do you mean by that?
like, as a proof reader kind of thing? if thats the case... then i
suppose we are always welcome to hear feedback. i suppose only on the
physics chapters at this stage however as maths/chem/bio is really early
days.

if you were to become a regular contributor, we would of course consider
you for write access to the CVS source.

cheers,
Sam