fab-user

Re: 'fabric1' and 'fabric2' packages

From: za3k
Subject: Re: 'fabric1' and 'fabric2' packages
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 16:50:03 -0700

+mailing list

On 2020-05-25 15:19, address@hidden wrote:
On 2020-05-25 12:40, Jeff Forcier wrote:
- First, please understand I'm still kinda buried so I can't take any serious action on my end this week. Hopefully by June.
No worries, I'm currently retired after like 3 consecutive startup
jobs myself, trust me that I'm no stranger to burnout or hectic
schedules. Though I have never released a popular project, that's a
lot.
And oof, sorry about the issue tracker stuff. Let me know if there's
anything I could do?

I'm planning to do everything on this but code review, just needed
some big-picture decisions. I think I got all those now.

Basically I am pretty good at "work on things for a week" but can lose
motivation on "work on something off and on". So I like to get
questions out of the way up front. This lets me binge until code
review, it's perfect.

- I think it's worth asking the distros if they would allow a Python 2 Fabric 1 option, for those users who are still stuck supporting Py2, but like you say I would not be surprised if they've already closed that door.
Will do. I'll hand them a package and they can say yes or no (asking
before making a package will get stupid responses, sadly). It's not
that much work, and I'll learn what I need for a py3 fabric1 package
even if they say no.

- The next big thing is evaluating 'fabric3' to see where they forked / how much they added besides py3 compat. Could be anything, I've no idea. Suppose it helps that Fabric 1 dev has been nearly nil since 2 came out, but if they added a lot of features or bugfixes that's a lot for me to review.
All right, I'll figure out the best way to make stuff work as you're
not familiar with fabric3 either. I'll look into the current state,
maybe get in touch with them if needed and they're around.

- Dropping Python 2: not anytime terrifically soon, but depends how
the rest of things go. The userbase for this type of tool skews
conservative and supporting 2+3 isn't /that/ painful, still, it mostly
just means fewer Py3-only toys.
Got it, thanks. Yeah I don't think fabric will be too bad, not too
much string/bytes stuff which is the big gotcha.

- Pip can absolutely handle updating both major release lines at once,
that's never been a problem.
OK.

  - And I still apologize for the frustration - I was hoping v2 would
get to where it was an obvious upgrade to v1, far sooner than it did.
I can't have anticipated being burned out, but I should still have at
least attempted some kind of "in place upgrade". Hindsight...
Hindsight. I've made all these mistakes myself, trust me :).