Cuda dependency outlook

From: Rudolf Weeber
Subject: Cuda dependency outlook
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:54:14 +0100

Hi,

in this mail, we'd like to communicate our plans for Cuda version dependencies
for the upcoming Espresso releases.
Espresso 4.2, which is expected early 2021, requires Cuda 10.
Bug fix releases for the 4.2 line will continue to support Cuda 10 as long as
this is possible with reasonable effort.

After the release of Espresso 4.2, i.e., for the development branch of Espresso
4.3, we will require Cuda 11.
Please be aware, that Cuda 11 no longer supports cards with compute capability
3.0 like GTX 680 (released in 2012).
The list of GPUs and their Cuda Compute Capability is here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

The reason for requiring Cuda 11 is that we will switch the Espresso core to
C++17. This introduces several features in C++ which make our live as
developers much easier. Cuda 11 is the first Cuda version that supports C++17
to a reasonable degree.

Regards, Rudolf
--
Dr. Rudolf Weeber