Re: Units

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Re: Units
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 13:19:05 +0100

Hi,

The way I understand it, we define an arbitrary quantity of energy [E] to serve as a scale, to which we assign the value of the statistical thermal energy of the system, [E] = 300 kbT, which has the unit of Joules. We instantiate the electrokinetics class with a force density of 0.1 on the capacitor plates, so the value of the electric field E generated between the plates can be expressed as E = 0.1[E]/([q][x]) in simulation units (because V/m = J/C/m), which is equal to 0.1 * 4.14e-21 / 1.60e-19 / 1e-9 = 2.5875e6 J/C/m in SI units.

The notation got me confused at first, because the electric field E has units of Volts/meter while the energy [E] has units of Joules.

Best regards,
JN