Re: [ESPResSo-users] is it possible to turn off inertia ?

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] is it possible to turn off inertia ?
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 18:33:21 -0500

Hi Edvin,

To give you the short answer first, it would probably not be too
complicated to implement your suggestion (at least for your personal
testing purposes where you may be able to forgo ensuring compatibility
and no side-effects with the rest of ESPResSo).

However, I'm not sure what you would gain. If the relaxation times of
your system are long, they are long no matter what algorithm you use
(you can't beat physics). And your suggestion does not really imply huge
savings: you would still be calculating the velocity from the forces in
every time step. You may be able to use a larger time step, but if your
system is overdamped then I don't see why a larger time step would not
be possible with the velocity Verlet as well.

Another option is to eliminate the velocity entirely and solve only for
the positions (this is essentially Brownian dynamics for implicit
solvent and I think there's a solver for that in ESPResSo, you'd just
have to replace the Oseen/Rotne-Prager/... interaction if you want to
ignore correlations).

Of course it all depends on what the particular frequencies in your
system and the perturbations are, but at the end of the day, you'd still
have that same relaxation time of your system that you have to simulate.

Hope this helps,
Ulf

--
Dr. Ulf D. Schiller
Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering

Office: 299c Sirrine Hall
Phone: 1-864-656-2669
Fax: 1-864-656-5973