Re: [ESPResSo-users] Tcl, Python and Espresso

From: Rudolf Weeber
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Tcl, Python and Espresso
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 09:59:26 +0200

Hi Michael,
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:36:35PM -0500, Michael Winokur wrote:
> It has been awhile since I've used Espresso and much has changed.  It would
> appear that the Tcl front-end will soon become obsolete in a transition to
> Python.  Will there be tools for translating Tcl scripts into Python or
> would I be advised to retool for Python.  If Python then would I be advised
> to download the development version of Espresso?  The documentation for
> using Python in version 3.3.1 seems a bit sparse.
The current plan is to have the next major release with both, Tcl and Python
interfaces. From that time on, Tcl will be marked deprecated and eventually be
removed.
For now, however, Tcl is still the way to go, and there will be ample time for
a transition to Python.

The Python interface is about 80% complete. The first version of Espresso which
can run most simulations in Python is expected in about 6 weeks. Right now, two
important features are still lacking Python support, namely constraints and the
observables/correlators framework.

Regards, Rudolf