Re: [ESPResSo-users] Periodic boundary condition

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Periodic boundary condition
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:49:42 +0200

Have a look at the FAQ:
http://espressomd.org/wiki/FAQ#Some_coordinates_are_outside_of_the_box.21

Olaf

Hello everybody,

I wanted to understand the behavior of the „setmd periodic 111” command.

For that I set up a box of dimension 20x20x20 and put a particle with a constant velocity in +x direction. I would expect, that when the particle reaches the position x=20 (end of the box), that it leaves the simulation box and enters it again at position x=0 (At least that is what I understand of a periodic box).

If I have a look on the trajectory, I don’t see that behavior. Instead the particle keeps on propagating and the x-position increases.

In the user guide I could not find any description of what the “setmd periodic 1 1 1 “ command actually does.

The *.tcl script as well as the trajectory data are being attached.

Does anybody can give me a clue or explain to me whether I did a mistake on my setup?

Greetings

Markus

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Allmandring 3, D-70569 Stuttgart