[ESPResSo-users] Memory and compute requirements for LB GPU

From: Vincent Ustach
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] Memory and compute requirements for LB GPU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:52:49 -0700

Hello all,

I am working with large lattice Boltzmann systems. In the spirit of shopping for new graphics cards, it would be interesting to know how the LB GPU requirements on a graphics card scale with system size. Axel Arnold was able to answer a similar but more general question on August 9, 2013 so I thought I might ask.

I think for each MD particle there are three linear interpolations, giving me some hope the computations for each particle scale with order N.

In terms of memory, these days my simulation crashes above 225 X 225 X 225 nodes thanks to memory limitations on the Tesla M2050 I am currently using. At that size I am mostly just trying to crash the system :)

I have the 2012 GPU paper for reference, as well.

Best Regards,

--Vincent Ustach
  University of California, Davis