Re: [ESPResSo-users] VMD and mbtools

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] VMD and mbtools
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:45:50 +0100

On Monday 12 March 2012 17:34:18 Salvador H-V wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I am facing some troubles trying to visualize with VMD the snapshots
> obtained with mbtools.
>
> After creating ~/.vmdrc  and adding the line:
> source ~/PATH_Source_EXPResSo/espresso-3.0.2/tools/vmd_plg.tcl
>
> When I launch VMD, it complains with a  similar problem reported some time
> ago here in the ESPResSo user list:
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/espressomd-users/2010-06/msg00002.html
>

> At that time, Tristan gave a temporal hacking golution. However, my actual
> problem gets worst. When I launch VMD,  the window "main-vmd" does not
> appear. So, I can no interact at all with vmd. If I remove the ~/.vmdrc
> file then VMD works without problem. Both OpenGL Display and VMD main.

Hi!

If you do not specify your own .vmdrc, VMD's own is loaded, which actives the
menus (usually /usr/local/lib/vmd/.vmdrc). Simply copy this file to ~/.vmdrc
and add there the source line.

The advantage of this is that you can actually control even what menus you
want to activate at start, and where they should be located, and many more
things. "user add key "l" {mouse mode 4 2}" for example makes the mouse label
atoms when pressing l, just like r and to for rotation and translation.

Axel

--
JP Dr. Axel Arnold
ICP, Universität Stuttgart