Re: [ESPResSo] Restarting a Simulation

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Restarting a Simulation
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:14:49 +0200

On Thursday 08 April 2010 22:05:43 Salvador Herrera Velarde wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First of all, thanks to ALL users and developers for your time and help
> with all my questions.
>
> I using mbtools to run  a simulation which contains a large chain of
> monomers among other molecules.
>
> I want to restart the simulation with different conditions; to save the
> actual configuration I was using the command: polyBlockWrite
> "$outputdir/$ident.[format %04d $j].gz" {time box_l npt_p_diff } {id pos
> type v f molecule}
>
> Then, I used the generated file to restart the simulation. However,  when I
> visualized the snapshots in VMD, there are many bonds spanning along the
> box simulation. I think this is an effect of the periodic boundary
> conditions. To fix the problem I tried to fold the positions:
> polyBlockWrite "$outputdir/$ident.[format %04d $j].gz" {time box_l
> npt_p_diff } {id folded_position type v f molecule}
>
> But still the same problem.
>
> Does anybody has an idea of how to fix the problem?

First of all, for almost all purposes it is better to save the unfolded
position in your blockfiles, since for example mean square displacements are
otherwise incorrectly sampled after restarting. So, the first version is the
way you want to save your data.

Regarding the spanning bonds - that has nothing to do how Espresso internally
stores the coordinates, therefore you get exactly the same output whether you
use folded or positions in your blockfiles. This is indeed just a problem of
visualization. Due to the periodic boundary conditions, you always will have
bonds spanning the whole box when drawn nonperiodic. So, what you would need
is a way to dynamically hide bonds which are longer than a certain length, but
that VMD can't do as far as I know. Alternatively, if there is a concept of
molecules in your setup, you can try to fold each of the molecules
consistently according to its center of mass; look at Olaf's pbctools how to
do that (http://www.espresso-pp.de/projects/pbctools).

Cheers,
Axel

--