[ESPResSo] Bonded Gay-Berne particles

From: Michael Winokur
Subject: [ESPResSo] Bonded Gay-Berne particles
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:20:49 -0500

Hi All,

I've made some progress in adding new local interactions between GB particles.
For the moment I've made an adjustment to the dihedral function calls in
energy.h and forces.h (but it will be better to have a fully separate
interaction parameter).  At issue is the use of torques in the bonded
interaction function.  The Gay-Berne potential, up to now, only adds torques
in the non-bonded interaction function.  As a debugging step I now just add a
torque of zero to two particles.
See below:
 #ifdef ROTATION
     for (j = 0; j < 3; j++) {
            p1->f.torque[j] += 0.00000;
            p3->f.torque[j] += 0.00000;
     }
#endif
and then Espresso breaks somewhere along the line because
one of the p3 particle coordinates, p3->r.p[2], suddenly becomes "nan".
This doesn't happen straightaway but only after a modest number of iterations.
Could someone kindly suggest how I should go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Winokur
Dept. of Physics, University of Wisconsin
1150 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706
Phone: 608 263 7475 URL: romano.physics.wisc.edu