Re: [ESPResSo] mpirun doesn't work for parallel

From: Ahmad A. J. Agung
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] mpirun doesn't work for parallel
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:55:20 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

First, Thank you so MUCH to Axel for the response, unfortunately we here still can't make ESPResSo run parallel. Here our administrator suggest that MPICH is not compatible with the hardware we use, and now he encourage us to use the native MPI from SGI-MPT, for uniformity and since it works fine for other parallel program. But we face problem and we wish anyone can suggest any idea for us to make ESPResSo run in parallel.

1. Are there anyone ever configure ESPResSo using MPI from SGI-MPT? would you share us..

2. We have experimented with some configuration, different mpirun/Espresso command, and export ESPRESSO_SCRIPTS environment variable. But until now the best can we do, we get the following error:

address@hidden:~> mpirun -stats cl1n001,cl1n003,cl1n004 24 Espresso_mpi /agung1/dna12b.tcl
0: Script directory: /usr/local/espresso_mpi/share/espresso/scripts

could not change to script dir /usr/local/espresso_mpi/share/espresso/scripts, please check ESPRESSO_SCRIPTS.

*** Dumping MPI internal resource statistics...

 0 retries allocating mpi PER_PROC headers for collective calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_HOST headers for collective calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_PROC headers for point-to-point calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_HOST headers for point-to-point calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_PROC buffers for collective calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_HOST buffers for collective calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_PROC buffers for point-to-point calls
 0 retries allocating mpi PER_HOST buffers for point-to-point calls
 57 send requests using shared memory for collective calls
 0 send requests using shared memory for point-to-point calls
 2 data buffers sent via shared memory for collective calls
 0 data buffers sent via shared memory for point-to-point calls
 0 bytes sent using single copy for collective calls
 0 bytes sent using single copy for point-to-point calls
 57 message headers sent via shared memory for collective calls
 0 message headers sent via shared memory for point-to-point calls
 8000 bytes sent via shared memory for collective calls
 0 bytes sent via shared memory for point-to-point calls
 32 send requests using InfiniBand for collective calls
 0 send requests using InfiniBand for point-to-point calls
 0 data buffers sent via InfiniBand for collective calls
 0 data buffers sent via InfiniBand for point-to-point calls
 32 message headers sent via InfiniBand for collective calls
 0 message headers sent via InfiniBand for point-to-point calls
 3200 bytes sent via InfiniBand for collective calls
 0 bytes sent via InfiniBand for point-to-point calls
*** Dumping MPI internal resource statistics...

Espresso_mpi is a soft link to .../bin/Espresso, since we want to make another one for serial execution.
Enclosed are the config.log. I will be very grateful for anyone could suggest any idea either for the error or compiling ESPResSo.

Thank you,
Agung

------------------------------

Hi!

>From example 3 I guess that /usr/local/espresso/Espresso_mpi is actually a
link to <installdir>/bin/Espresso, which is a script that contains already
a simple mpirun command for Espresso. Therefore, you cannot execute it
using mpirun. If you need to run mpirun manually (for example to specify
the execution nodes), you need to execute Espresso_bin directly and set an
environment variable before, namely ESPRESSO_SCRIPTS. Look at the script
(/usr/local/espresso/Espresso_mpi probably) to see what you actually need
to export.

Apart from that I am also not quite sure about your
mpi invocations for MPICH in examples 1&2. I would expect something like
"mpirun -np 24 -machinefile <file> <path-to>/Espresso_bin <script>", where
file is a file containing the names of your execution nodes.

Axel